Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The "BAD-dest" teacher

I believed I have caused a permanent damage to my popularity among the children during Sunday School. No child will love a teacher who disciplines, who tells them what they can or cannot do….. sigh… and that was precisely what I did last Sunday.

The children were misbehaving. During our song session, some were sitting in a corner sulking, some were lying and even rolling on the floor and some were, well, plain busy poking their friends and making silly faces. I know I shan’t be too hard on them, lest I take the joy out of singing from them. After all, they are still children. But, that Sunday, I thought that it’s high time they are reminded about worship and learn a little respect for the house of God.

So, instead of the usual medal giving ceremony after the song session, I told them that there are no medals this week because most of them were misbehaving. I reminded them the importance of paying attention, and why we are singing the songs. Then, I opened up a container filled with sweets and told them that if they think they deserved a sweet - which means they were well behaved- they can come forward and take some sweets for themselves. All were silent. They all stared at me wide-eyed. A few turned sad. The boys rolled their eyes! The older children looked a bit sheepish. But, not one dared to come forward to claim their sweets. Then, one girl started sniffling and got all teary eyed! Oh, my! It was then, I officially became the “bad-dest” teacher of all. ….

A new dilemma dawns…. Should I be nice next week? Or still be strict to instill some discipline? Ah, a tough choice……

No comments: