Thursday, October 2, 2008

Getting back on track

I missed my LIFE! I miss my gym, my shopping sprees, my books, my quality time with my loved ones, my friends (some claim I’ve gone AWOL for the last 6 months) , oh, and my blog & facebook … whatever happened to me during the last 6 months?

WORK ! WORK ! WORK and MORE WORK! New job has taken its toll on me. So tied up with work, that I lost my radar for a bit there. It crept in subtlety. Began innocently with checking emails at home at night and weekends, then you see some urgent emails (by now, believe me when I say, all emails are always urgent!) and had no choice but to reply them. Which leads, of course, to completing quotations and proposals in the late night and over the weekends. Before I know it, my nights and weekends are gone and I had merely the energy to crawl into bed, have a quick shuteye before starting the merciless cycle again the next day. It didn’t help at all, that I had tenders almost every month to complete, which inadvertently means late night proposals, countless long hours in front of the laptop, rushing around to compile proposals, necessary docs, attending last minute clarification sessions…– what madness! Exhilaratingly challenging, but what do I get in return? A new coffee-drinking habit and dark circles under my already-puffy eyes, …. what a way to go, gal….

I need to get back on track, take control once again of my life and steer myself out from this abyss of work stress. I picked up these STRESS BUSTERS and hope they’ll help me to overcome the pressure and stress and lead me to a healthier lifestyle:

1) Plan my time well
I’ve got to learn to say NO to work after 8pm and over the weekends and especially during my off days and Public Holidays. There's more to life than just work.

2) Show my emotions
Got to learn to express my thoughts and emotions, ie if I am overburdened and overloaded with work, should talk to my bosses about it. Of course, EQ very important here cause I wouldnt want my bosses to think I am being creative at asking for a sack.

3) Exercise regularly
Head back to gym again and trade in this overworked self for a healthier self.

4) Rest & Relax
Take a breather, chill out, watch some Stephen Chow comedy.
Maybe even plan a holiday or two in the next couple of months.

5) Sleep well
Is the bible rule at least 8 hours of sleep a day? That’s good.. really good…. Will naps take into account? Hmmn…have to work on this luxury…

6) A Stress Free Diet
This supposedly increases my body defence system against stress! So I have to start eating lots of nutrients like fruits, vegetables and fibres. Er, is the famous cheese fibre cake by Secret Recipe considered nutritious fibre-rich food? Wouldn't mind having that for every meal....

7) Vitamins and supplements
Ah, cod liver oil is the answer…..

Well, with these pointers, hopefully I get to see the new me in the next couple of months… and my friends get to see more of me too! Wish me success.

No comments: