Saturday, June 21, 2008

"Boy" & "Going Solo"

I found an interesting “treasure” during my last trip to Gold Coast. It’s not something shiny nor pretty, but something that brings back good childhood memories. Ta da! I found 3 of Roald Dahl’s book in a market! Yeah, sis! What a find! I found “Boy”, “Going Solo” and “Matilda” !! Hooray!! What’s the fuss about these books, you’ll ask? Well, a sure treat to some fans like me (and my sis), but an utter nonsense to those who are living in oblivion to who this great man was.

Roald Dahl was a wonderful writer. Born in Wales to Norwegian parents, he tells of his colourful life. In “Boy” we’ll catch glimpses of his childhood and in “Going Solo”, an eighteen year old Roald had his bizarre adventures in Africa while attached to Shell for assignments and later on in the army. His other much better known books are “ Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “James and the Giant Peach”. But “Boy” and “Going Solo” remain as my all time favourite.

I enjoyed Roald Dahl’s adventures when he was young as described in “BOY”. He has the most out-of-the-world experiences! Mischievous and brave, he was kind of an alter ego that I wished I could be. He invented goat tobacco, put dead rats in candy jars, almost had his nose cut off in a car accident, had his gallant yet defiant years in a boarding school and of course, his infamous encounters with discipline. You’ll love his vivid description of the caning emitted by his headmaster - you can literally feel yourself getting caned too! :)

Some well-meaning souls have asked if I was going through my second childhood by reading these books? Heck, if there are evergreen songs, then these are evergreen books! I simply loved reading them. Besides, it’s a great way to de-stress. Hmmn…who knows? Maybe after this, I’ll search for these gems for a re-read…..Anne of Green Gables, the entire collection of The Adventures of Tin Tin.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Roald Dahl is indeed a very special writer. Prefer his adult stories as compared to his children stories. Actually he started as adult author, but subsequently turned to writing children books. Quoting reviews of him: ingenious imaginations, a fascination with odd and ordinary detail and an author with a wildness and wryness of his own (I couldn't agree more).
Read most of his books in SMKB library (not that many actually). A few years back, before the inflation kicks in, I bought Omnibus, collection of 28 of RD best stories in 682 pages. The price? A decent RM28.90. Priceless buy...
Another note worthy writer is Somerset Maugham.