Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Patience is a virtue

The funny thing about life is that, it always catches you off -guard and throws you off your feet. Like today. I was in the office, as usual, in my cheery mood, happily counting my days here in my present job. I was looking forward to a fabulous and peaceful day. But alas, it was not to be! It was spoilt by an utterly annoying colleague who refused to be cooperative during a work session today.


Of course I am frustrated!! Did I do all the work just to pass the time away??? No. I am doing the best that I can to ensure a smooth transition. That includes having spent an enormous time doing up a new database, scheduling meetings to explain in detail the how-to's and why-do's , supervising her work, checking and reviewing her work meticulously for the gazillionth time. Yet, she acted plain blur and blamed her incompetency on me!! Argh!! So frustrating!!


Incredibly, the moment I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, I held back my anger and did not shoot her down with my words.
"Be patient!"
Huh? How can I? I've gotta say something back. I'll look dumb in front of my boss if I don't...
"Just be patient".

Alright, alright, I won't argue. Let go and let God.

It makes me wonder then, too... Why is it that people now think they are smarter than others when they are only a couple of weeks into the new role? Why is it they can't ask or discuss whenever in doubt? Perhaps we lack the respect and humility needed to cultivate a harmonious working environment with our colleagues?
Or, are these the prevailing work culture " It's all about ME! ME! ME!" and "I dont care about other people!" Hey, what happened to team work? You, know , T: Together, E: Everyone, A: Achieves , M: More...! I remembered the good old days when we are enthusiastic about learning, eager to ask whenever in doubt and work along side our mentors.......


Gotta go chill out now. Too much emotions in the morning. Will continue to persevere. Patience is after all, a virtue. And, undeniably, a difficult one to attain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where do you go to chill out, huh? ...let me know....i can join you la...